Monday, December 31, 2012

Shin-Kaf-Raa

15 Safar 1434

What does one really understand about being grateful?
Does being grateful mean feeling undeserving of something just because you got something more than others? Does it mean downgrading yourself due to that? For me, Being grateful means being thankful for what you got at that moment and utilising that opportunity for the best.

Today is the third day of me being in Egypt. Do I enjoy it so far? Alhamdulillah, it could not have been better- Abu Obaydah taught this way of answering. In other words. Whether or good or bad things happened, you always take it as the best that God has decreed for you. He- El Rabb knows best, remember?

There are three things I wanted to talk about today regarding Syukur.
Well, actually there are three main aspects:
  1.  Money money money
  2. The moment
  3. The balance

Money, Money, Money
Being a fresh graduate from Australia, you can't really escape from being inquired about your life there. Comparing the lifestyle here and there, of course it is quite different.
For one- the lifestyle of Australian are much healthier; exercising, healthy food and all those government initiatives to make the people more healthy. Campaigns to walk one stop for the bus, cycle to work and others.

Then the cost of living- after the conversion of course. MashaAllah! It is like the sky and the earth.
Australian Dollar (AUD) is three times Malaysian Ringgit, and Malaysian Ringgit is twice Egyptian Dollar (LE). How much of a difference would that be between AUD and LE? When I explain to my flat mates about the cost of this and that over there in Australia, I do have that feeling. That I shouldn't be granted so much compared to them. You know the feeling when you are living so lavishly and when you see poor people on the streets, you feel like you shouldn't be living in that mansion of yours and distribute the wealth.

But as I was writing the intro of this entry, I thought to myself; being grateful does not mean that you feel unworthy of what you have received. It's about being thankful for what you received and using it for the best. Of course, never forget to say Alhamdulillah. Since I was given more opportunity (in terms of wealth) by the government for my studies, I should work harder to give back to the ummah.

The moment
So what's the big deal about the moment? Most of us only feel grateful when we have lost something. And it is always an outsider that needs to tell you about the great things that you have. Let's take myself for an instance. Before I left Adelaide, I have always wanted to come to Egypt- land of the Prophets to learn and sharpen my understanding on Islam. When I reached here, and attended my first Talaqqi Quran bi El Sanad (learning Quran with chains rooted back to Prophet Muhammad) with Sheikhah Karimah, I realised that I could've gotten the same opportunity from Umm Obaydah, living in Adelaide. I'm not sure whether or not it is bi El Sanad but from my observation, it seemed as such, and mind me, Umm Obaydah never charged anything for her classes.

Secondly, as I am here. Students here do feel appreciative of my enthusiasm for coming all the way, a fresh graduate to Egypt to learn. And then I realize. They (or maybe some of them) are just like me. They are not seizing the opportunity whilst in Egypt. Egypt is the centre of Islamic knowledge, and they are so many opportunities to learn talaqqi from the mashaaikh here. Then again, who am I to judge people. I was the same. So, an advice to Malaysian students sent overseas to study: Find the pearl in your local area.
  • Melbourne have a lot of scholars and Islamic centre. It is like the America of Australia- lot of lots English speaking scholars. One of them being Al Kauthar Institute.
  • Sydney have Lakemba- Sheikh Afrooz
  • Adelaide have Islamic Information Centre (IICSA)- Abu Obayda
  • Brisbane have HikmahWay- Sheikh Aslam
  • Perth have Sheikh Yahya Ibrahim

Allahuakbar! The opportunities are vast. Don't just stick to your Malay community. Explore and grasp the opportunity before it is too late.

The Balance
Finally, for every mu'min, they must understand and find the right balance between being an abid and being  a khalifah. Being in zikr and being in fikr. I am currently reading the book Menjadi Mukmin Professional (Being a Professional Mu'min) by Ustaz Pahrol Mohammad Juoi.

I can't be grateful enough! It is, as I am reading through each page, the best book to read in this journey of self discovery. Sometimes I feel like I am too focusing on the worldly affairs that when I get here to Egypt, I just feel so left in my religion that I feel like continuing my stay here and perhaps study more of my religion. But this book has been helpful, Alhamdulillah. It is all about the balance. Understanding your religion and the worldly affairs are both important and you must strive for both. I will probably write an book review after I finish the book, but for now, I can safely say, I am happy with the book and others should definitely read it too. You won't regret, insyaAllah.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your kind comments!