Monday, December 31, 2012

Power of language


16 Safar 1434

Yesterday was my first day out and about with actual Egyptian Dollars in my hands. And people say that money can buy anything- it's not that I believe in it anyways. And yesterday made me believe less in it. It was so hard for me, needing to have someone accompany me wherever I wanted to go just so that I can get what I want translated into actual understandable words. Then there's the cultural and system differences that comes with it. I had spent so much money yesterday.

  1. Vodafone
I bought my line yesterday. Having used to using the Cap system in Australia, I need to get used to using prepaid again in Malaysia and Egypt. NOT EASY. I settled with the 50LE recharge for my mobile internet. Happily, I started activating my packet data and started FBing and checking my emails. Happy happy… Being used to the postpaid mobile internet system in Australia, I thought the system here is similar, when you bought a recharge amount for your mobile- which you want certain amount for your internet usage, the saleslady will handle it and give you a mobile ready for usage.

Little did I know that I have to purchase the mobile package myself using my recharged amount. Sigh! I think she did mention it somehow yesterday because I heard she said something about 1LE etc etc but perhaps my friend misunderstood it as well because she never used a mobile internet before, just a simcard for her tablet. So….. I finished my 50LE for a 53MB worth of internet usage which could have bought me a 1GB internet plan. There goes. Language is power. Spoken language and cultural language. I will take this as a lesson for myself.

  1. Sanad Talaqqi Quran and Arabic course
I paid for my registration yesterday. It cost me around 1720LE for both courses. It is not expensive. Believe me, for knowledge, it is not. Now I just need to utilise the teachers.

  1. Biscuits and Drinks
Later we stopped over a grocery shop. I bought some interesting looking biscuits which have no price tags on. And bought a carton of mineral water. The system here, they do a lot of delivery for free. Cool huh? I didn't have to carry the heavy water myself, alhamdulillah. The water cost me 18LE but the total comes to 63LE. I was like…. What? I bought only 4 small items apart form the mineral water and these alone cost me 45LE?!

Then only my friend explained to me that imported goods here are very expensive. And I go… T_T
I was not told beforehand. And there was no price tag. And it was a small grocery shop, you don't normally expect them to sell expensive imported food. And it was my first day shopping remember? So I didn't even think much when I had to pay 63LE. Of course you are still confused with the currency itself. Hehe… Aish…. Langauge is power.

There goes my first day with Egyptian Dollar. Lesson learnt. Language is power. Never be afraid to communicate, whatever language you can use. Sign language, drawings, spoken language- anything. Communication is essential. Don't simply trust others to make decisions for you. Make informed decisions! Get the knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your kind comments!